About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Teac{HERR} Way on the FIRST DAY

#psuaged16 was back at it again this week! It's been super awesome to watch my cohort members rock out their "First Day" labs. I'm pretty privileged to work alongside such passionate and enthusiastic people!

In case you missed it, during The Teac{HERR} Way - Lab 1.0 I shared my Gems (the good stuff), Opps (areas where I need to work on) and my Targets (my goals for next time). My three targets for this lab were to Review Objectives, Increase Fluidity and Energy. I hit the bullseye on some of these, others, I need to realign before shooting again.

The Teac{HERR} Way - Lab 2.0

Gems -

  • Creation of classroom community. I absolutely desire to create a classroom environment where my students feel known, safe and valued. I was stoked about this life-sized Spider Web activity that opened the doors for me create a visual representation depicting the unique role that each of my students play in my classroom.
  • Variability of Instruction. It isn't hard to make a first day of school boring and well quite frankly, lame but the awesome tool of E-Moments allowed for me to design an engaging first day. 
  • Ms. Herr's classroom expectations
  • Energy. This was one of my targets from Lab 1.0 and I think I was successful in conveying my excitement for the class. I know the importance of being energetic so that I can transfer that same energy to my students.


Opps - 

  • Clarity of Instruction. I noticed some areas of confusion for my students during the bellwork assignment, I failed to successfully communicate my instructions for them. 
  • Review. The first day in Ms. Herr's class included some very important material - classroom expectations, procedures and consequences. I should have designed more time to review those three areas, especially the motions I designed for my classroom procedures. 
  • First Impressions. Quite honestly, I envision it going a little differently on the first day. I would have liked to create a little different feel when my students walked into the room. Music probably would have been a good start!
  • Pace. Variability is all good and all until one minute students are standing up and the next minute they're seated and then they're turned around and upside down and well, you get the point. My pace was a little quick during this lab, I need to make sure I'm working along a pace that allows my students to absorb the material.
  • Work the Room. I love taking advantage of my whole classroom. But I have to be cautious that I don't overdo it. Watching back on my recording of Lab 2.0, sometimes my need to "work the room" becomes a little distracting. 


Targets - 

  • Be Purposeful and Explain Reasoning
    • I know there would have been a lot of value in sharing the reasoning behind each of my classroom procedures with my students. More then the day-to-day motions that we practice in the room, I want to be transparent with my students. By being purposeful with learning activities and explain the reasoning behind them I can help my students think at a deeper level.
  • Transitions
    • I struggle big time in this area. I know it will take practice! My plan of action for next time is to write out my segues in my lesson plan. I believe this will help be develop the habit of increasing my fluidity, one of my targets from Lab 1.0.
  • Signal Words
    • Knowing that I struggled with some clarity during this lab, I want to challenge myself to work on developing my skills in giving direction sets and being intentional in using signal words to direct my students.

Simply put, I, like last time, still have a lot to work on. It surely is a fun process working to refine and develop the Teac{HERR} way!

Simply put, this lab was by no means easy. No body said it would be easy. But they did say that it would be worth it. 

Until Next Time, K. Janae

6 comments:

  1. I love being in lab with you! You are such and inspiration and I know you are going to be a great teacher. I always enjoy your labs, as I feel you intentionally go out of your way to make sure it is enjoyable and engaging for your students. Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janae, I wish I could have been in your lab, I feel it would have been a real treat! You have a great way of connecting with people that you come in contact with that I feel you could bring that in the classroom to all your students! Keep of the super stellar work and I hope that you reach your goals for the next lab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog posts. You do a great job of reflective self-assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janae, being in your lab group is truly benefiting to me! You did a great job throughout the lesson and I liked your yarn web! It was a nice way to show the students that they are all important to the class! You presented a lot of great techniques with the hand gestures! Way to implement what we are learning in class! You are a very fast paced person, slowing down would help students who are new to what you are teaching! Overall, you did an awesome job! Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janae it was cool observing your video! You owned the classroom. I would have to agree with you clarity could have been a bit better. I struggled with that too. My bell work was a flop :p Managing your time and thoroughly getting through your expectations, procedures, and consequences would make them more meaningful because these are viewpoints of yours while students are in your classroom. Using music would have been a nice addition. I didn't use music either. I wish I had. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete