About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Teac{HERR} Way - But Why?!

I am all about developing my students into the best version of themselves they can be. Even more than that, I'm about pushing my students. Pushing them to want to explore and discover and really use that incredible mind the Lord blessed them with. I want my classroom to be more this learning environment that is different that all other classes my students have had. I want my classroom to be a critical thinking factory.


Our contextual lab for this week helped me develop the skills to do just that. We dove into Problem-Based Learning this week, and like before, I'll share my Gems (the good stuff), Opps (areas where I need to work on) and my Targets (my goals for next time). My three targets for this lab were to Probing Questions, Be Purposeful and Explain Reasoning, Transitions. I'm sensing growth in some areas, but am fully aware that I've still got plenty of work to do.



Gems - 

  • Probing Questions. It became quite clear that problem based learning is all about the questions asked. I think some of my best questions asked were ones I didn't plan for. Not only did I find that questions did well at helping me gauge where my students were at in the problem solving process, it also is great for pushing them to dig deeper.
  • Check-Ins. My lesson was designed with a lot of small group work this time around. Watching back on my lab, I realized the true power of the individualized check-in's I did with each small group. Not only did it give me opportunities to clarify or help keep the group on task, it allowed me to ask some different questions to push the students to think at a deeper level.
  • Class Practices. Again, sometimes the best stuff in a lesson comes out unplanned. I was impressed with the way my student was formatting his answer so I gave him a quick shout-out for his great work and asked the class to make this a "class practice." I want my students to play a role in helping to develop our classroom culture, using their current positive actions do so could be quite successful. 

Opps - 

  • Variability. Typically, I consider variability one of my biggest strengths in the classroom. I love changing it up; keeping things in the classroom interesting. But I found that difficult for me to do in this lab. I was proud of my instruction materials and the design of my lesson, but wasn't satisfied with the fact that I didn't try to teach to every learning modality better.
  • Directions - I think it goes without saying that direction sets are a huge struggle. I feel confident in saying that I've tried to be extra intention in planning for giving directions, and that's paid off. I feel like I've grown there. But I know there is still room for improvement, especially in efforts to be transparent with my students, so directions will re-appear in my Targets for this week.
  • Stress. Stress the importance of the lesson, the importance of the problem and the importance of my students being the ones who must determine a solution. This opportunity for improvement directly relates to key concepts in problem-based learning. For PBL to be most successful, I have to create a felt-need as soon as my students walk in the door.

Targets - 

  • Teach for the Modalities. I failed here this week, I have to be intentional about ensuring that I am giving due time to all my learners - auditory, visual and kinesthetic. For sure, some lessons this will be much harder to do than others, but I owe it to them.
  • Direction Follow-Ups. I was given some great advice for improving my direction sets... "follow up verbal directions with written directions." Though this may not always be necessary, I am definitely going to give it a shot to hopefully help my students be most successful with the task at hand.
  • Feedback and Revision. For the next time I implement PBL in my classroom, I want to be sure there's time set aside in the process for feedback and revision for the students solutions. I didn't have my lesson written for this and looking back now, it's evident how much more in-depth the solutions could have been.
Simply put, let's ask more hard questions of our students. Let's keep asking them why. 

Simply put, I want cultivate collaborators and critical thinkers in my classroom. 

Until Next Time, K. Janae

1 comment:

  1. Janae, I enjoyed your lab. I think your provided a great opportunity for us to analyze the situation, identify the problem and then solve it. I appreciated the exploration of the entire process. I agree with you that directions can be a struggle but will get better with practice. And as you noted with PBL we have to reflect and evaluate student learning. I think in our short tidbit of time it is sometimes hard to capture everything, but overall you conducted a great lab! Well done!

    ReplyDelete