About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Adventures of an almost Advis{HERR}

You know, I’ve set foot in Louisville, Kentucky a lot of times. 
Left to Right: LIFE Conference '10, NAILE with PA 4-H State Champion Livestock Judging Team '11, American Degree '13, Collegiate Assistant with National FFA '14
But this time was different then any other. This year I got a new button. This year I had new responsibilities, new purposes, a new name. 

National Convention '12
I’m still wrapping my head around this whole idea, the different experiences I had this week. It was a little bit surreal. It’s a little bit crazy to truck around the National FFA Convention & Expo with your “teacher backpack” on and this line of kiddos in some pretty slick blue corduroy jackets following behind you like ducklings follow their mom. For those of you know know me, the blue and gold has been, is and will continue to be a huge part of my life. When I was a high schooler attending National FFA Convention I dreamed about the day I would get to wear the advisor pin. I dreamed about being the not-so-hot driver of a classy school van. I dreamed about getting to watch my students look wide eyed across the crowd during their very first general session. This past week those dreams came a little bit true. 

I piled in that classy school van on a rainy Wednesday morning with six students who pretty much had no idea who I was and I did that “ag teacher thing” with the Midd-West FFA. Aside from a few different days of observations, this was the first time I’ve gotten to spend some quality (and by quality, I mean lots of hours piled in our classy school van, galavanting throughout Louisville) with a few of my future students I have the privilege of teaching during my student teaching internship in January.


I experienced some pretty unique things this week. Things like...

A new pin! So surreal, quite honestly.

- When I walked up to an exhibitors booth, that red pin magically got me some cool things to add to my teacher box.  

- It takes a few days to get used to that whole "Ms. Herr" thing. I still kind of giggle when I hear that... 

- Ag Teachers serve as a second set of parents. This week I filled in as the take-your-medicine-reminder, the life-decisions-coach, the how-about-we-find-the-positive-side-of-this-speaker, the here’s-a-lame-travel-game-for-us-to-play-creater and everything in between. I chose a professional that gives me the chance to live in a sphere of influence that is quite incredible. I don’t want to take that for granted. 

- Your kids will get tired and grouchy and have a hard time making the best of the experience some days. And that can be a little frustrating. But I have to remember  that I was a kid one time too. But I also want to call my students to higher standards, so that amongst the tired and grouchy they remember that convention may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so soak up every minute! What did they tell us in opening session? Something about amplify? Yea, amplify the moment! 
You're welcome for this.

- I forgot that high school drama is a real thing. I am super thankful for this week and the chance I had to be reminded of what life was like for me way back in good old 2009. Three cheers for braces! No but really, I was reminded of the value of listening to my students, regardless of how silly their problem may seem in the moment.

- Teaching is not for the faint of heart. It’s hard. It’s busy and tiring and overwhelming (duh). But I’m ready for the challenge. I’m ready to move and shake the lives of my students, I’m ready to push them and dive into that sphere of influence. 


I so appreciate the six rockstar Midd-West FFA members that I got to adventure with this past week. 

I appreciate their authenticity, their willingness to try, to get to know me, to let me get to know them, their ability to see the world in mature eyes.
I appreciate my cooperating teachers willingness to include me as an advisor this week; to give me a real-life experience - no sugar coating.



Simply put, what a week. A week full of dreams come true, good conversation, establishing relationships, preparing for what’s ahead and amplifying my passion for this field. (see what i did there?!) 

Simply put, here’s to the adventures of Ms. Herr and the journey of student teaching at Midd-West High School and then whatever doors God opens for me next.   

Until the next time I ride in a classy school van, K. Janae

1 comment:

  1. Clearly one of your best posts yet. I giggled out loud at the picture of the crew from 2009 😂 I love that you have found your passion and can't wait to hear more great stories of you not only as an advisor but also a teacher! You go girl

    ReplyDelete