About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Saturday, February 13, 2016

They all need a champion.

Stop what you're doing. Watch this. Even if you already saw it, watch it again. Then read my blog.


You know the drill, I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).

High: Sappy teacher moments happened this week. I get it, I fully understand that in this job I have a HUGE sphere of influence, no pressure, right?! This week I served as an unofficial life coach for students as they navigated relationships, college and careers. No, I am by no means an expert at all of those things but nonetheless thankful that I have been able to build such trust with these students. Also, I did not have the opportunity to coach our small gas engines CDE team, but I have had the opportunity to teach them in class. And no, they didn't get their engine started in the area contest this week but they did give it their all and I was super proud of that. Some of my kids come from a tough background, I'm sure that goes the same for you #psuaged16. These students may not ever hear anyone say that they are proud of them; to silently root for them while heads come together to solve a problem; to be their champion. I got to be that this week and that rocked.

Low: Diverse learners have been a challenge for me throughout this experience, maybe one of these times I'll share to with you more observations on that topic, but this weeks low dealt with the challenges of IEP's. This week I watched one of my 8th grade students use his IEP, the adaptations and accommodations that I am legally required to provide for him, as a cop-out on an assignment that he wasn't prepared for. I know he struggles academically, but I know that we had worked hard in class to prepare for that assignment and that he was more then capable. It's sad to see that in some cases, the purpose of the IEP, to gradually strengthen the students skills so to "wean" them off their required accommodations and adaptations actually becomes a huge crutch for students, one that they solely depend to carry them through school. Granted, I have a wide variety of diverse learners in my classes and I know that is not the case for every one of those students. Irregardless of whether that test retake option is a crutch or not, these students deserve a teacher who stand beside them and push them to be the best they can be, despite academic challenges. They need a champion.

Tip: Here's something I've noticed, there's no perfect school out there. No matter what district you walk in to, there's going to be things that will not directly align with your personal philosophical views. Politics, budgets, legalities and all that other fun stuff cause us to quickly poorly perceive our schools. Sure, the public school system is wacky, believe me, I've been experiencing it first hand for the last five weeks. I've said it before and I'll surely say it again, I'm thankful for the authenticity of my student teaching experience and the relevancy that my cooperating teachers help me experience. But as I notice more and more the glaring "inconveniences" of the public school system I am reminded to not let those things become my sole view of my school. It's not in my power or physical ability to attempt to solve or worry about those big public school issues, this does not mean ignore them, but it does mean don't lose sleep over them. The bigger day-to-day issue should be ensuring that am I fully-present in that moment. Am I coming to school awake, alert and ready to serve my students, to provide them with a high-quality education and support them in the learning process? Politics, budgets and legalities aside, my "kids" deserve for me to put forth my best efforts to attempt to be a champion of a teacher.

Simply put, this week that was full of two hour delays (yay for a few extra minutes of sleep), two almost-fires in the shop (no worries, crisis quickly averted!), developing Sub plans, teacher in-service (which was a glorified version of #AEE412), chapter officer interviews, CDE contests and that's just the beginning. Also, I have never heard my name shouted across a room so many times then I have this week. 

Simply put, each week it gets "real-er." Yes, I know that's not a word. But seriously, each week during this internship the importance of me daily coming to school to be more then just a paper-passer-outer, test-grader, lesson-planner, meeting-attender and rule-maker gets "real-er." Each week it gets "real-er" that these kids need a champion, here's to being just that.

Until Next Week, K. Janae


2 comments:

  1. Janae,
    This might be one of the top three blog posts of all time I have read from any student teacher.

    You get it. You get what I can't teach in a lecture or instill by force....you get what can only come from the light bulb going off deep in your soul that by God, great teachers are needed and you are willing to accept challenge knowing that you are incomplete and imperfect (as we all are).

    Keep pushing yourself to be your best self to be ready for that moment when you the brave, courageous individual on the front lines for a student who does not think they have anywhere else to go or any way to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done. You are a champion for these children. Keep it up, and keep pushing every student to be their best each and every day. By the way... Your small engine team will get it started next time. Just remind them to keep working/learning.

    ReplyDelete