About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Remember Why You Started

And then it hit me. I only have one more month left with these kids. 30 total more days to bring my best foot forward, despite the stress and craziness of the day-in-day-out of life as an agriculture educator for the benefit of my students. It hardly seems real that this semester is that quickly coming to a close. In fact, I'm quite certain that just a few days ago, we were all piling in a school bus headed to the Farm Show Complex for Mid-Winter Convention.


With Easter Break knocking at the door, it made things a little difficult to look at week 11 and these last 30 days with my students in a positive light. But as my feet hit the floor (probably a little later then they should have) on Tuesday morning this week I told myself "remember why you started." Same goes for you #psuaged16, don't forget why you started in these last few weeks. Don't forget to thrive.

Back to business, week 11 has brought warmer days which means antsy children and a busy greenhouse. The spring flower fundraiser wrapped up this week, lots of spring cleaning activities throughout the FFA office and ag classroom, running engines and punnett squares far enough for the eye to see. I tell you, it's all about mastering the art of organized chaos. (Is that a resume worthy skill?!)

Week 11, though a short one will be no different. I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).

Dalton working with some students on their review activity
High: A few weeks ago, on our way to SLLC, I had some good conversations about how awesome agriculture education really is. Two of my students were on the fence about what they wanted to do for the rest of your life. (FYI, as an ag teacher you automatically become a life coach. No pressure.) The idea of agriculture education grew on them and this week with the help of Penn State Teach Ag! Society's Essay Contest, I got to watch one of my students give it a try. Dalton took on my Small Gas Engines class, bringing some solid content about the 5 engine systems. That class is a challenge, it's the last period of the day, there's 18 boys, need I say much more. Dalton did a great job taking on the challenge. Standing to teach your peers is a daunting task, even as a senior. I was proud, not just for Dalton's great job but because I couldn't help but think that I played a small role in helping him consider agriculture education as a career option. 

Low: Mr. Erb was out for the week and asked that I focus on some theory rather then have my shop classes work, to be easier on the sub. #psuaged16, be purposeful in your sub plans. It has been much of an upward climb dealing with these "anti-sub" students this week. I get it. Break is hours away and they're taking this class because they want to work with their hands. I reacted to some situations in ways that I wasn't really proud of this week. I was tired, I too was ready for break and let that come out on them. In efforts to rise above, I chose to start class with an apology. I watched my cooperating teacher model this for me, it proved quite powerful. 

Tip: Here's my take-away from this week. Be patient. Be patient because the sun is shining outside. Be patient because he just might not get it (even after lots of independent instruction). Be patient because odds are not many people are with them. Be patient because, seriously, it's not the end of the world. Be patient because there's only one month left.

Simply put, take a deep breath. Be patient. Run around like a chicken with your head cut off. Make a second to-do list. Laugh it off. Remember why you started.


Simply put, here's to the last 30 days with these students. The ones who frustrate me, worry me, overwhelm me, but most importantly make me laugh. "Invest into your kids and they will invest into you."

Until Next Week, K. Janae

2 comments:

  1. KJanae,

    Thank you for sharing. I do hope (and believe) you will maximize each day you have remaining at Midd-West, not just for your students, but for your growth as an educator....

    Stretch yourself..try new methods...experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your pictures. I know that a lot of learning has occurred (even on short weeks) and I know a lot more learning (for all involved) is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete