About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Catalyst of Impact

And then I said to myself...
"I cannot wait to be agriculture teacher."
Okay, honestly I say that quite often. It's true, though. I can't wait to have my own classroom, my own tomato plants growing in my greenhouse, my own engines roaring in the shop, my own students discovering, inquiring and developing.

I hopped in my car after completing surgery on a the fence that made up a goat's new home, hit the southbound highway back to Lancaster and through a nerdy ear-to-ear grin I said it... "I can't wait to be an agriculture teacher."

I can explain more about the fence-surgery situation; however, it will make more sense when you understand why I ended up on this farm in the first place. In the life of many agriculture teachers, a summer surely looks very different then other teachers in the building. From conventions, to conferences and meetings to fairs summers go flying by. Throw in SAE visits and the calendar fills up fast. That's where it all happened for me, fence fixing and all - my very first SAE visit.

First things first, Midd-West FFA members are rockstars. You should also know that there is incredible power in the SAE visit. Allow me to explain...

  • They allow me to meet my student, in some cases, where they are most comfortable. But also, right, smack dab in the middle of what they are most passionate about. Take Levi for example. A rising freshman, most all that Levi knows and loves revolves around dairy cows. (I of course, was in my element on the Landis farm!) Maybe you missed it, but Levi is a rising freshman and he, along with his uncle operate the family dairy farm which includes two Lely robotic milkers. Levi's SAE visit turned out to be the first time, I, a former dairy princess even, saw robotic milkers in action. But the best part was when Levi excitedly led us into the barn office to explain how the robotic milkers allow for him and his uncle to collect data on the cows production. As Levi maneuvered the windows to show us various stats, he screamed potential!


  • It reminds me to be flexible. Mr. Bittner and I started the day out with intentions to visit three students and finished the day visiting five students. I must say, it is terrible convenient when siblings end up being home at the same time! But things change, students don't answer their phone and record-keeping gets neglected over summer. So flexibility it is! Also, being flexible helps make the transition from talking about egg production to white tailed deer production much easier.

Big shout-out to Carly for earning a National Silver medal for her Speciality Animal Production Proficiency Award! 

  • My favorite part about SAE visits isn't the chance to see all of my students projects or jobs. It's the fact that I, Miss Herr, not only am their educator but a catalyst of impact. As much as SAE visits are about the here and now, they are about the future. So, while mending the fence for a very curious goat Sam, Mr. Bittner and I discussed the value of a post-secondary education and expanding professional networks. Then Rhode Island Reds turned into SMART goal setting and business planning all around a picnic table in the comfort of their own home. I read this quote shortly after my experiences at Midd-West which I felt summed it up well... "Instruction does much, but encouragement does everything." I want to encourage my students to do more, to be more and SAE visits create a great environment to do such.
Simply put, SAE visits are for relationship building, for adventure, for learning (for both teacher and student!), for practice and for planning. Simply put, SAE visits are powerful platforms to serve as a catalyst for impact. 

Simply put, I can't wait to be an agriculture teacher. 

Until next time, 
K. Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment