About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Teac{HERR} Way - Unit Plans

Plan. Plan. Plan. And then keep planning. 

Planning is arguably the number one key to success by all teachers nation-wide. And rightfully so! We plan our assessments, we plan our field trips, we plan our year. We also diligently plan for our units and lessons.

Typically, The Teac{HERR} Way is post where I reflect on my contextual lab experiences. This time around I am going to reflect on my first unit plan. Like normal, I'll share my Gems (the good stuff), Opps (areas where I need to work on) and my Targets (my goals for next time).

Here's some things you should know about my unit plan... 
  • During my student teaching internship I will be teaching an Agriculture Biology Class
    • I will be teaching a unit on Inheritance and Heredity, RNA & Protein Synthesis and Genetic Engineering.
    • This is a Keystone course, which means I need to meet certain eligible content standards to prepare my students for the standardized Keystone Biology exam.
  • I submitted my Genetic Engineering Unit Plan for peer and faculty feedback
    • This is a two week unit (10 class sessions) for a group of 10th and 11th grade students
    • My goals for this unit included...
      • Students will identify ways that scientists  manipulate DNA in living cells
      • Students will identify ways that genetic engineering has impacted the agricultural industry
Gems -
  • Layout 
  • Makes sense sequentially 
  • Intriguing lessons
Opps - 
  • Specify Unit Goals
  • Specify Unit Rationale
  • Include specifics 
  • Clearer identification of AFNR Standards vs. Benchmarks
  • Make sure all objectives are complete
Targets - 
  • Tidy-Up!
    • Much of my feedback was given in regards to some "nitty gritty" details in my template layout. I need to spend some time refining the way some of my tables are designed and/or organized to maintain clarity.
  • Get Specific
    • I've had a little more coaching up on the art of writing objectives since the first submission of this unit plan. I aim to be incredibly intentional in the writing of my unit rationale, unit goals and lesson objectives as I continue through the unit planning process.
  • Be Purposeful
    • #psuaged16 is required to include a list of "essential elements" for a unit plan. I want to be purposeful in the ways in which I fulfill those essential elements. For a specific example, I received feedback on my response to the element of "Academic Enhancement." I want to be purposeful in making sure I relay the cross-curricular connections that will (and how they will) take place in my units of instruction.
Simply put, it's evident that planning is 3/4 the fight. Diligence and intentionality in planning my unit and lesson plans will surely pay off down the road. 

Simply put, I'm thankful for a cohort and an instructional team who care enough about me and my professional well-being that they take the time to give me constructive feedback on assignments. 

Until Next Time, K. Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment