About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

K. Janae, Reporting Live From Room 312!

This week has been a little bit surreal. Somewhere, somehow I ended up in Snyder County. It's like I blinked or something. Somewhere, somehow I ended up in my last semester of my Penn State career, the capstone of my degree program - my student teaching internship.

Ms. Herr's Desk
Somewhere, somehow, by the grace of God, I have the privilege of teaching and coaching the students at Midd-West High School under the mentorship of two passionate educators. And for that, I am grateful.

I have officially made fort in room 312. In the last five days we have transitioned from the "new lady over there" to "good morning, Ms. Herr!" In the last five days I have positioned myself strategically in the corner of the room with observant eyes and at the door with a welcoming smile. In the last five days I have met many members of the Midd-West team, participated in faculty room lunches, decorated bulletin boards and did Friday morning coffee and donuts in the ag room with Donna the
janitor.
FFA Executive Team Meeting

As I reflect weekly on my student teaching internship, I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).



High: I did that teacher thing this week! I picked up my first class, there's no just dip your toes in around here, we do cannon balls! Small Gas Engines was the first to welcome Ms. Herr to the front of the room. This class will definitely be a challenge, last period and 18 boys, but it will most certainly be a good challenge. We knocked out some micrometer reading skills this week, next week the tool kits come out!


Low: This week began the official lesson planning adventures. As I planned with Mr. Bittner and Mr. Erb and dug through some of the lesson plans I made the semester before, I was a little defeating to see that I wasn't able to use some of the lesson plans I had written, but a good reminder of the importance of planning and planning ahead.


Tip: "You cannot make enough mistakes." It's that simple. My cooperating teacher gave me that advice as I stressed a little over the art of classroom management with some of my classes. #psuaged16, don't be afraid of the mistakes that we most surely will make. We're not doing this because we knew it would be easy!

Simply put, this is really happening!! Teacher badge, my own desk, FFA executive meetings, my very own classes and getting to students. 

Simply put, I am excited to dig deeper into this sphere of influence I have the opportunity to participate in. 

Until Next Week, K. Janae

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to learning more about this Lesson Plan low...call whenever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Janae! Good luck during week two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janae,

    Thank you for sharing. It looks like week one was a good one for reflecting and for looking ahead. Enjoy your time in Snyder county. I hear some really amazing people have come from that county :-)

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete