About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Field Trips & Proud Teacher Moments

Traditionally, those who ride school buses are students, which is true. However, this time, I rode the bus as a teacher. This time, I rode the bus with 60 some students, as one of their fearless leaders. Boom. Reality hits, this is real. The capstone of my entire college career, student teaching, has officially arrived.

But hey, nothing says first day quite like a field trip!

And what better field trip then one to the 100th Pennsylvania Farm Show!

Midd-West FFA loaded up, 60 students ready to go explore the largest indoor agricultural exposition in the nation and celebrate the successes of their peers.

I enjoyed the morning visiting with teachers from across the state (and nation!), enjoying infamous farm show delicacies and learning more of my students throughout the day.

We collected students and sat down in preparation for the 87th Pennsylvania FFA Mid-Winter Convention and I got to catch some pretty cool exchanges by my students. A life skills student of ours was receiving his very own official FFA jacket through the PA FFA Alumni Jacket Scholarship during the convention. He met up with the group, dressed to the nines in his almost-complete official dress. He was SO excited and his parents, SO proud.

Better yet, I watched my other students walk up to this student and congratulate him, complement him on his belt buckle (which clearly was a big deal to him) and celebrate with him in this milestone. You see, for this student, zipping up that jacket for the first time was only the first of many huge and life changing experiences that the FFA will provide for him. I was there. I sat on that dirt floor and wrapped around the arena with all the other awkward freshman and pulled on that stiff corduroy jacket for the first time. Seven years ago, little did I know.



Simply put, I wish nothing but all the same and more incredible opportunities for this life skills student and all my students, present and future. May they diligently seek out and take advantage of all that national blue and corn gold can offer them.

Simply put, I was so proud of my students, for being proud of their peer, complimenting him and building him up. But more so, I am so thankful to be a part of a national organization that provides opportunities for all students regardless of the abilities, appearance or background.

Forever Blue, K. Janae


2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great start to a wonderful experience. Enjoy every moment. It will go very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing.

    Suggestion: Try to make sure you identify one TOP TIP or LESSON LEARNED each week in your blog post. In the end, you would have 14 or 15 and could pick a fun top ten.

    ReplyDelete