About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Adventures of an Advis{HERR}: SLLC

As a high schooler, some of the highlights of my FFA career were undoubtedly those which were opportunities to travel to various leadership conferences and interact with fellow FFA members across the state. I was thankful for various opportunities to continue to participate in various FFA events throughout college, providing for me opportunities to give back to an organization that had given to be so much.

But then things changed. Then I was assigned to Midd-West High School and then I was no longer a collegiate member, volunteering my time and energy to help with the success of events. Now, serving the role as an advisor, my experiences at these various events look much different. No longer simply a workshop facilitator or freebie provider, I am responsible for safe delivery of my students to the event site, ensuring that everyone is following curfew rules, actively participating, staying healthy and respectfully representing our chapter.

Midd-West FFA recently arrived back from Pennsylvania FFA’s State Legislative Leadership Conference, an annual conference that allows members to dive deep into the legislative process, participate in some leadership and personal growth workshops and perform community service projects. Check out my top three take-aways from this awesome trip below.

Investment: I was a huge fan of this trip because not only did I have opportunities to invest into my professional development, I had immense opportunities to invest into my students in a setting much different then the classroom. I got to know more about where they come from, what they're passionate about, what they're stressed about. We laughed a lot on this trip, for that I am quite thankful. I've said it before but I so appreciate the authenticity of these students and this trip was another opportunity for me to dive into that.


Service: 
FFA members across the nation proudly boast the line of motto "living to serve." SLLC provides students with the opportunity to serve organizations in the Harrisburg area for, collectively over 1,700 hours. As our bus rolled into a church parking lot with a mountain of mulch greeting us Midd-West FFA members were excited about the opportunity to spend the afternoon working outside. I was incredibly proud of my students who, without hesitation, grabbed shovels, rakes, wheelbarrows and leaf blowers and busily got to work. They worked alongside of two other FFA chapters and made the afternoon quite fun, without even trying. When one task was finished, they were up asking what to do next. This attitude of positive dedication and determination is seemingly bred into those that proudly wear the blue and gold.

       


Connection: As agriculture educators, we play a pivotal role in the marketing of our program to administrators, community members and legislators. That role is quite simply getting our students to show up in blue jackets and then let them do the work. We spent nearly three hours touring the capital with Representative Fred Keller on the last day of SLLC. Not only was it an opportunity for him to spend time with his constituents, it was a chance for our students to spread the word about the powerful things happening in the Midd-West High School Agriculture Department. I learned the importance of not only helping your students make connections with other chapters but helping them make connections with those who help make their community run.


Simply put, these adventures in blue jackets and school vehicles are my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the way in which the National FFA Organization actively prepares students to be positive agents of change in their communities.

Simply put, I'm thankful for a chance to invest into these kids outside of the classroom, to continue to be the teacher that strives to be their champion when they have no one else. 

Until the next time we load up in a classy school van, K. Janae

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having these experiences from the teacher side "of the desk". I know that it will continue to guide the way you approach supporting students for the rest of your career.

    ReplyDelete