About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Blue Jackets; Gold Standards

There is never a week that looks the same in this job. Which is fun, just a little bit stressful from time to time. The week started early as we loaded up vans and headed to south to Harrisburg for the State Legislative Leadership Conference (more on that later). It was a crazy few days filled with proficiency award evaluating, workshops, community service, shared meals and lots of laughs.

Ms. Timmons rocking it out!
Week 9 also made room for a visit to Kennard Dale high school to visit Ms. Jenna Timmons. I'm proud to be a member of #psuaged16. It was fun to watch one of my peers in action, interact with their students and watch them deliver content in creative ways. Ms. Timmons and Ms. Smith make a great team and are clearly influencing the students and community members. Also, shout-out to all the members of #psuaged16 who did some stellar bounce-backs from SLLC! Adapt and overcome!

Just like normal, I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).

Three diligent servers at the
Teachers Breakfast
High: It's been a week of getting to watch my students plan and execute events; marketing their program and organization for those around them. In the past week I've acquired positions not only as an FFA Advisor, but also scarf and tie fixer, hair-doer, medical consultant and speech coach. I love these kids and I love what opportunities the blue jacket provides for them. Not only have they found this network of friendships, they've chosen to be a part of an organization that makes them a better version of themselves. And that is something to be incredibly proud of. 

Low: Sometimes students will disappoint you. And that's hard. There comes a point where calling them to a high standard almost feels like wasted breath. I watched one of my students struggle to understand the weight of his position on the officer team, struggle to wrestle varying opinions of popularity from one social group to another and struggle to choose the high road when somethings didn't go his way. I also watched his teammates share frustrations with him, but turn and try to call him to be fully present - he owed it to the membership body and the team. This student is most likely closing the door on this FFA chapter for the rest of his high school career, which is unfortunate because he is closing the door on a lot of uncovered potential. But you win some and you lose some. 
The 2016-2017 Officer Team

Tip: Get your kids in blue jackets and make them seen. In front of teachers, in front of administrators, in front of community members, in front of legislators. Let them do the talking; let them do the marketing for your program. It's powerful. I loved the observation on of my students made during our teachers breakfast. One of our officers presented on the foundational concepts of agriucltural education and the Midd-West FFA and was followed by our principal who held a mini-faculty meeting before the teacher in-service day started. The student noticed that shortly after their fellow member was done talking it didn't take very long for the teachers non-verbal communication to scream boredom, yet during the FFA presentation they were actively engaged. Students are powerful.
The Midd-West FFA Alumni is doing big things for
the Midd-West FFA!

Simply put, I LOVE banquet season. I love the daily adventures of this job. I love long banquet dress rehearsals, I love early morning teacher breakfasts and preparations for plant sales and all of that good stuff.

Simply put, it's such an honor to serve these students as their FFA advisor. They make me laugh, challenge me and live life authentically. 

Until Next Week, K. Janae

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Janae. Wonder about those learning outcomes from conducting a banquet..what did you observe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good for the team to work through these issues that arise. It makes them all stronger in the end. Just be there as a support for whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete