About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Monday, March 7, 2016

All aboard the struggle bus!

It was just one of those weeks. Each day more crazy and exhausting then the last. But these kids. I tell you what. In amongst these wild, crazy days I'm thankful for their continual reminder that this is why we do this thing. Not for an income, for an outcome. It is not about getting your students to "like" you, ain't nobody got time for that! It's about being that one teacher, that one person they interact with that day that gives them a chance. And far too often to we " do not have time" to offer that second chance, this week was a solid reminder that I want to be the teacher that gives a second chance.

Week 8 was rightfully a wild one. Sidenote... how is it even possible to be finishing week 8 already?! We kicked things off this week with strawberry delivery, birthday celebrations in judging practice, ridiculous amounts of speech and creed repetitions, I advised my first FFA meeting (totally geek out moment), an impromptu mini petting zoo form in our classroom and exciting moments of student-driven learning.

Just like normal, I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).

High: Proud FFA advis{herr} moments this week... I advised the last meeting of the 2015-2016 officer team. That was a mildly surreal moment; one that I had dreamed about for quite sometime. I also had spent most of my week helping prepared speakers and creed speakers prepare for the SUN Area CDE contests. Three of my eighth graders had committed their supervised study's to the preparation of the FFA Creed. Hard work pays off friends, one of the three of my creed speakers will be joining a few other Midd-West FFA members to compete in regionals.

Low: Here's the thing about Fridays... everybody struggles. Especially when this weird snowy mix is falling from the sky, people have been out for FFA trips, some crying kiddos oh and a dog and five rabbits roll into your room. Welcome to Fridays in room 312! Ms. Herr was driving the hot mess express first period! The bell rang, class was over and I was feeling a little bit defeated. But we shake it off and take some time to revisit content the next class session. Fridays do not mean your given a pass to ease off and not take advantage of learning time. These kids still deserve my best effort despite tears, substitute teachers and a mini-petting zoo.

Tip: This week I witnessed my cooperating teacher have one of those "flop lessons." Students (teacher and student teacher) left confused and frustrated after spending the class running all over through supplemental content to a previously performed lab. It took all but fifteen minutes for the teaching train to derail and the rest was history. But here's the thing, despite the absolute craziness of the day before, I also had the chance to witness my cooperating teacher make the rebound. I've blogged about it before, it's okay to have to re-do lessons, we owe it to our students to give them the best possible learning experience. But we also owe it to our students to be authentic. At the start of the next class session, my cooperating teacher didn't start the lesson without a moment of "hey, listen. I'm sorry." He apologized to students he was openly frustrated with, he apologized for causing such frustration and then together, we all "erased" what we tried to learn the day before and start fresh.

Simply put, authenticity is respected. Students crave it. I'm thankful that my cooperating teacher wasn't afraid to own the lesson that was derailed and guide his students through a restart. Students need to know that we are human too, that we do absolutely do care about our students engaging in a successful learning experience.

Simply put, the day-to-day variety of this job is my favorite. I can't predict what animal will show up in my room, what problems will need solved or how my students will surprise me. A seasoned teacher once told me "invest in your students and they will invest into you." I love that the day-to-day variety of this job allows me to invest into different students and surprisingly receive investment back.

Until Next Week, K. Janae

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. It is sometimes difficult to "own up" that things didn't go well, but as you saw through a great example by your cooperating teacher, it is the right thing to do. Everyone benefits in the end. Keep on, keeping on! I know the time is going quickly, and you need to be sure to make the most of every week, day, and class session that you can.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete