About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Monday, April 4, 2016

Adventures of an Advis{HERR}: SAE's & Surveys

This student teaching internship obviously creates a lot of unique experiences for me. Some of them intentionally placed throughout the program, others occur organically as I daily progress through this journey. One of these strategically placed experiences is the an SAE visit with one of my students.

One of my first encounters with Midd-West FFA students was this past summer when I participated in several different SAE visits, you can read more about those here. I had an opportunity to host an SAE visit with one of my students that I now know much better then I did the students I met with back in the summer.

Meet Mariah. Mariah is a junior at Midd-West High School, an avid field hockey player with a big personality and bold, adventurous spirit. I appreciate Mariah's willingness to just jump in and try new things. One of them being her SAE, which she chose to do an enterprise in the area of Agriscience Research with a focus on Social Systems.
An example of Mariah's questions
Mariah is interested in determining why the students enrolled in agriculture at Midd-West High School chose to take an agriculture course. There are ten agriculture classes offered at Midd-West High School this semester, all of these students will be asked to complete the survey for Mariah's research.

While Mariah and I met, we discussed the process of ensuring all students will have access to the survey and made sure that her questions were designed to help her accomplish her goal. Mariah finalized her message to the student body so that I could post it on our school's online platform for the students to take in class.

Student responses will be complied for Mariah to determine various themes and patterns in the data. Not only will the results of Mariah's survey help her be able to progress into the state Agriscience Research competition, the data will also be beneficial for the future of the Midd-West Agriculture Program. We discussed these options and designed a timeline and action plan for her to accomplish these tasks during this meeting.

Here's Mariah's message to the students
I am anxious to see the results that Mariah gathers through this surveying and helping her break down the results!

Until the next Advis{HERR} Adventure, K. Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment