About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Teac{HERR} Tales: Good Food & Good Conversations

There’s something to be said about the camaraderie in the "ag teacher world." One of the things I find most attractive about the profession is certainly the network that extends from not just the local level to the national level. Coming together with a passion for student success and the future of agriculture, agriculture educators

The Center for Professional Personnel Development annually hosts regional new and beginning teacher meeting, allowing teachers to come together to fellowship and share resources. I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to expand my professional network across the state of Pennsylvania into the Northern region during my time student teaching at Midd-West High School.

Under the organization of Mr. Ron Frederick, Northern Region new and beginning teachers (and pre-service teachers!) met for a lavish buffet dinner, provided by the Center (huge shout-out to them!) at the Country Cupboard. I enjoyed a chance to catch up with Ms. Royer and Mrs. Gouger, the other Northern Region #psuaged16 members.

Mr. Frederick facilitated a discussion following the meal that allowed the seasoned teachers to share a funny story, a piece of advice and a resource that they find valuable. I learned quite a bit, for example bus drivers licenses aren’t all that they’re cracked up to be, rumen stomachs should only be dissected outside of the school building and other valuable information.

Between the ten of us that sat around the table, some unique teaching resources were shared! Arguably an anthem of teachers across the nation is beg, borrow and steal. The new and beginning teacher meeting surely prepares us to do just that! 
Here’s a few of them...
  • PA Envirothon Mobile App (check it out here!)
  • PA Extension Resources for Wildlife and Natural Resources (Mr. Frederick filled our bags full with those!) 
  • A meiosis lab with these crazy little critters called "rebops" (check it out here!)
The last item on the evenings agenda was a chance for the student teachers to ask questions of the in-service teachers seated around us. Ms. Royer and Mrs. Gouger and I threw out questions that ranged from technology implementation strategies, job interview tips, acquiring program advice and time management strategies.

Simply put, I’m thankful for a night of fully stomachs, good conversation and additions to my teacher bag. 

Simply put, what a blessing it is to be a part of an occupation that allows for me to be a part of this expansive network of teachers who are seasoned with knowledge and experience and so willing to share. 

Until the next Teac{HERR} tale, K. Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment