About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Friday, April 8, 2016

The Not So Normal Days

Edible DNA made Agriculture Biology way fun!
What an interesting week this one has been. You just can't prepare for some of this stuff, I'm telling you! For real, some days you have to accept the fact that people forget to work smarter, not harder. And somedays, your school server is going to get hacked and even Google will be considered and un-educational site that you and your students cannot visit and some days student stories will remind you again how fortunate you are to have been brought up the way you were. Oh, and somedays you just have to laugh it off and move on. 

For Week 13, I'll be sharing a high (some of the top notch, #thebestofmiddwest and other dynamite moments), a low (the not so glorious, wish it couldn't been better or those "you'll have that" kind of moments) and a tip (something of the Teac{HERR} Way that I learned or heard that should be shared with #psuaged16 and friends).

High: First things first, I just really like this place. I also just find it very hard to believe that we're this close to the end. It's been a great week of getting to see my students do awesome things. Crazy schedules let me get the chance to coach CDE teams on my own. Dairy Judging, Livestock Judging and Veterinary Science practiced this week experiencing awesome progress in preparation for State Activities Week. I got to watch several of my students rock out an wonderful performance of Anne of Green Gables for a school-wide teaser. I'm proud of these kids. Proud of them for working hard to make themselves better and proud of them for making themselves involved in areas outside of our "corner" in the school.

The Agriculture Mechanization NOCTI
Low: This week has been a crazy one. NOCTI testing and assemblies made for some funky schedules. The lack of internet for all parties in the school made for a week that felt rather unproductive. I found it a little defeating to have all of the different factors affecting the flow of the week. With no internet, students expected to not have to accomplish anything in the classroom, NOCTI testing pushed all of our classes to the auditorium, limiting our facility usage. But here's the thing, despite it all, you just push through and make good out of it. These road blocks allowed Ms. Herr to catch up on blogs and write some assessments and students to get prepared for the next AET evaluation. 

Tip: It was NOCTI testing week at Midd-West High School. My experience with NOCTI is pretty limited, I took the test as a senior in high school and discussed the importance of the exam for program funding in college courses. I'm thankful that I got to experience the NOCTI testing process while at Midd-West. Here's my tip, Midd-West pre-tests their students, holds several study sessions with their completing testers and uses those tools to help make their program better. Though the NOCTI is essentially a standardized test, there is a lot of value in the results from the exam. I also saw the immense value of keeping your administrators in the loop, not simply about what is going on in your program, but what why their support of you and your students in the NOCTI process is so valuable. Their support is needed for the success of your students in the process. 

Simply put, there is so much importance in getting your administrators and guidance counselors in your corner. Not just for the sake of logistics on the day of a NOCTI exam, but for continued support and gained understanding of the value of school-based agriculture education.

Simply put, find the good in the crazy. Find the good in the "not so normal" days. Find the good because the days fly by.  

Until Next Week, K. Janae

1 comment:

  1. Even on those "crazy" times there is learning to be had. Remind the students of that and do as you say "push on". I am so glad you were able to experience the NOCTI from the teacher side of the desk.

    ReplyDelete