About Me

My photo
A farmers daughter and Penn State Agricultural and Extension Education student, I enjoy laughing (a lot actually), capturing Lancaster county beauty in the form of an Instagram and pursuing the heart of my Savior. This is authentically me, simply put: my adventures, my passion and my journey of becoming an Agriculture Educator.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Teac{HERR} Way - Get 'em hooked!

Did that contextual lab gig again today! Today we were presented with the challenge of interest approaches, or as some may refer to them as anticipatory sets. Interest approaches are pivotal in setting the tone for the rest of the class period and I am confident that my "magical and incredible" DNA extraction did just that.

Last week, during The Teac{HERR} Way - Lab 2.0 I shared my Gems (the good stuff), Opps (areas where I need to work on) and my Targets (my goals for next time). My three targets for this lab were to Be Purposeful and Explain Reasoning, Transitions and Signal Words. I hit the bullseye on some of these, others, I need to realign before shooting again.
The Teac{HERR} Way - Lab 3.0

Gems - 
  • Transformative Environment
    • As soon as we started, I asked the class to put on their "scientist" hats. Though it may seem elementary, I believe simple gestures helped them move out of the traditional classroom that they see in their minds to this laboratory where they would be mixing in beakers, lighting things on fire while wearing cool white lab coats and those super awesome safety goggles. I frequently referred to them as "scientists" as we worked through the experiment. I wanted to engage them as much as possible.

  • Signal Words
    • I tried really hard to be intentional in using signal words to help direct my students with various instructional sets. My interest approach required lots of important steps so signal words such as "smush," "go" or "I'll know you're finished when..." helped increase clarity and fluidity in my lesson.

  • Ya' With Me?
    • Checking for understanding can be hard, but I don't think it has to be. I frequently use the phrase "thumbs up if you got me," a simple yet effective way to make sure my students are following along. I also used a similar tactic to be sure that I have my students attention before giving the next direction... "can I have your eyes for a second?"
Opps - 
  • Filler Words. Um. Okay. It's clearly a problem and a problem that I've been dealing with in the my lab experiences and surely will continue to. I feel confident in saying that this bad habit will go away with refinement and practice. I also believe that these words can be eliminated if I am intentional about being very thorough in my lesson planning and preparation beforehand. 
  • Questions. Because the interest approach is so foundational for the rest of the lesson, it is so important that I working hard to ask lots of questions (and the right questions) of my students. I realized there was a lot of valuable time that I could have keep my students "mentally engaged," if you will, while they were completing a simple task by asking questions to keep establishing precedence for content later.
  • Suspense. In preparation for this lab, I wanted to implement Lancelot's Principle of Interest that "interest is created and sustained by a state of suspense." There were so many times during my lab where I could have milked the  "magical, super exciting, important strawberry DNA extraction" for all it was worth; getting my students as hyped for this inheritance and heredity unit as I am.
  • "Guys." I want all my students to know that they are valued and important in my classroom. Street slang makes it easy to refer to my students as "guys" a lot. I want to break that habit because most likely my classroom will not just be "guys." A dear friend of my mine always called her students "friends." Any other suggestions?
  • Management. Lab 3.0 brought a new challenge, role playing. My peers were assigned various student personalities, some troublesome, some overly knowledgeable, some chatty, etc. So not only am getting teaching practice, I'm getting classroom management experience! Granted, today was the first lab with this addition; however, I know I missed out on opportunities to keep all students involved in the extraction process.
Targets - 
  • Probing Questions
    • I have found that my teaching style typically is oriented by asking lots of questions; however, I want the questions I ask to build on each other and create a web of connected content from bellwork, to the interest approach, to the content and to review. I need to work on being sure that my questions are intentional.
  • Be Purposeful and Explain Reasoning
    • This was a target from Lab 2.0 as well. I felt like I had made some progress in this area, but it something I want to continue to challenge myself with. Like I had stated last week... more then the day-to-day motions that we practice in the room, I want to be transparent with my students. By being purposeful with learning activities and explain the reasoning behind them I can help my students think at a deeper level.
  • Transitions
    • I struggle big time in this area. I know it will take practice! My plan of action will be the same as it was for Lab 2.0... to write out my segues in my lesson plan. I believe this will help be develop the habit of increasing my fluidity, one of my targets from Lab 1.0.

Simply put, there are no words to describe how rewarding it was to hear 
"thats the DNA. No way! ... That’s pretty awesome Ms. Herr"
Simply put, we are slowly but surely making progress and developing into the agricultural educator that I desire to be. 

Until Next Time, K. Janae

6 comments:

  1. Janae - the material you are teaching on is very non-traditional for many of us so it is neat to see you work and create ideas that are transferrable into other subjects such as animal science. One comment you made was using slang words to address students. I have challenged myself to use the students names when addressing them individually and as a group I use the word "team". The word team can be situational but is a good one to add to the word bank! Great job on your reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K. Janae,
    Awesome job! I think it's fantastic that you want to emphasize purposeful and probing questions. It is important to keep students engaged, and so even by asking them questions while completing a simple task, you are keeping their brain muscles working! I also think it's good that you were using signal words (and actions such as thumbs up!) to make sure that the class was with you and performing tasks AFTER all the directions were given!
    Filler words, that's a tough one for sure, but it is good that you are aware of it so it's something that you can be working on. (A lot of us have mentioned this as a goal... me included... so we can help keep each other accountable).
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janae, You had an awesome interest approach this week!! I am very grateful to be in your lab and to watch you grow each week! I think you executed the interest approach so very well. I honestly, was very excited to complete the exercise and find some DNA!! I felt as though you conducted the activity and our class with greatness! Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janae, I really enjoyed your activity with the extraction of DNA! I'll be honest, I was a little skeptical at the beginning of the lesson and was not sure where you were going with it! You do a great job of speaking and moving yourself around the room! Doing things that seem "elementary" can be useful to set the stage for things to come. I would agree that the word, "team" whenever addressing the whole class is a good idea. You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like your interest approach turned out great! I would have loved to see it. You also mentioned about asking the most appropriate questions during a lesson. I talked about that in my blog as well and included a link that you might find interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read your comment about wanting students to be scientists it made me think of the door decor that says "why we enter this room we are scientists, authors, explorers, . . ." (An image is at this link https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fd/61/18/fd6118542744cba4d5c2285421102b2e.jpg
    How does "Go" work as a signal word for you? I've found that one to be a struggle for me because in the directions I often use the word "go" causing students to take it as the signal word.

    ReplyDelete